Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Seth Williams Brook, Ledyard, CT


Monday August 31, 2009

After work, Caleb and I rode over to the Seth Williams Brook (also known as just the Seth) and fished off of Shewville Road, down Town Farm Road. There we found a little pool under the bridge. It looked promising but we had no luck. When we first arrived, we saw a beautiful Great Blue Heron which surprised us when it flew out from below the bridge, landing on a log a little further down. I tried to snap a picture but we weren't quick enough. There were lots of mayflies and caddis flies. Caleb tried fishing for a little while using a caddis fly nymph; thought he saw one fish, and had several nibbles as the fly drifted through the deepest sections of the pool. We caught nothing and decided to ride up the road to a "pond" that connected to another part of the stream. The pond was man made and had some real spectacular fountains with lights in it. I doubt that Charles Stillman ever saw this ghastly sight.
We made friends with a few ducks in this pond. Caleb thought that these ducks had business with me as they quickly quacked their way up to me, like I was an old friend. I re-assured these ducks that I had never met them, and we went on our way. Caleb tried to convince me to trespass on private property to get to the good part of the stream, but I refused as there was a woman in plain sight. So, we walked over to the legit path and discovered it was so overgrown, we could not have made it through without a machette. I now was desperate as Caleb took off without me and I was forced to sneak onto the private property, passing a bunnie on the way.

We finally made it to the other side and into the woods to the lovely stream. While we did not catch anything, we did find a beautiful golden carpet of chantrelles, which it turns out after eating them might not have been chantrelles after all.


0 Fish; 0 Chrantelles; 1 bunnie; 2 ducks; 1 blue heron; and a hideous fountain.

No comments: