Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Norwich "fishing conundrum"




There is so much to figuring out a spot. For the last five years I have fished In winter in Norwich harbor. It has always been a difficult spot to fish. At my best I caught 4 stripers in one day. I have caught one or two here or there but never the numbers that I have heard reported; 50, 100 ,150 , more? Is this hyperbole? Or is it simply a situation that I have never come across. Where are these huge numbers? What is the key to success behind a 50 fish day? I need to figure what I am doing wrong.
There has to be a formula. I have heard and experienced that there are many factors that make fish bite. I have observed that timing following the monthly lunar cycle to be a major contributing factor to the activity of fish in both salt and fresh water. I know that bait selection is important if the fish are feeding on a particular type of bait then that is what needs to be presented to them if they are to be caught. Certain types of bait seem to work better in some situations than o
thers. Tide is important to catching fish under situations where tide is a factor. Norwich harbor is a tidal effected area. Weather is also an important factor when choosing a time to go fishing. An imminent sto
rm or drop in pressure or an overcast sky often sparks the feeding behavior of striped bass. Temperature f
luctuations also have an affect on the quality of fishing. Increases in temper
ature seem to be more favorable than consistent or downward turning temps. Time of day also has an a
ffect on fishing in that there seems to be a lot more fish willing to bite
at night or in the margins of the day. While midday can be productive it has to coincide with a plateau in temperature.

Trends in fishing always seem to come and go but the times where I am at my best are when I have done some research and look around myself to observe conditions that have a positive effect on fishing. I will continue to learn about the fishing of Norwich harbor and hopefully be blessed with an amazing fishing experience there.

No comments: