Thursday, January 21, 2010

The quest for a fish a month continues


2010 Could be the year? Things are starting off auspiciously.
Of course 1/1/10 was a skunk of a snook trip on the Rio Nosara.
Being skunked on my first trip of the year whet my apetite for cold weather fishing at home. My first opportunity was 1/10, on the seth river. it was exciting to catch a fish in cold water. a 6 inch brookie to be exact! The colors and the white fins I think he was a wild fish. Even though it was a small fish It made me feel fulfilled that I had caught fish in January!
I also took a short trip out to long pond with the ice auger. It was sunny and warm. I fished for about 30mins or until the ice I was sitting on felt soft and made a loud crack noise. I made haste as I exited the ice grabbing my belongings and heading for shore. I looked back and realized that I had not been far from shore although it felt far enough when I was on it. Its funny how my perspective of space is controled by my level of comfort whth the situation. If I was 25 feet out on the ice I felt like I was 100 feet.
My accomplishment for the month of January was the capture of a 2# 16-18" brown trout in the the big pool near 95 on Latimer brook. I doubted I would catch anything but I took a chance and it paid off. I will probably try again soon even though the ice has melted too much to go out on it any more.

No comments: