Tuesday, March 1, 2011

weeks 9 &10

For week 9 I went to my first Ice fishing tournament. It was held at highland lake. I am not sure I am a tournament fisher because I think I get too caught up in winning and forget to enjoy myself fishing. Highland lake is far from Mystic so I had to leave around 5AM. Got to Jakes house around 6:15 and he got ready we were on the road to Highland. stopped for coffee and then made for the summit. Upon arrival I went into tournament mode and got signed up while Jake unloaded the car. Paid the fee and entered the 50/50 payout where even if you don'n catch the winning fish you can win some $. Jake signed up for the tournament and at 8:00 we were on the ice.
We ran to what seemed like the best spot to us a narrows between the first and second bays. started setting tip ups and before I had the third one in the water we had our first flag. A short pickerel. All pickerel had to be at least 15" to be in the running. ours was short. We let him go and continued to set traps. The next fish, a rainbow trout was found on a trap that had frozen so that the flag didn't go off. Did I mention that it was really cold? When I got the fish on the ice its fins froze almost instantly. I did my best to get it back into the water. Hope it survived. The rest of the day we caught nice fat trout but all of them were shorts. we didnt win the tourney but it was a great learning experience.
Week 10 was a sunday trip with my dad to lantern hill pond. Caught a bunch of gills and my dad caught one big yellow perch. We had a fish tacos for some of kks yoga pals and it was delish!

No comments: