Wednesday, July 30, 2008

sailing takes me away

Ever since i saw the Yacht rock videos I have been thinking about sailing. when Gas prices started to soar, I realized it would become the way for me to fish when there was no gas left. I read In the Heart of the Sea, by Nathaniel Philbrick and I realized that people have been sailing around the world for thousands of years and in completely last-minute rigged boats. The crew of the Essex survived 93 days in dorys made for whaling with improvised sails and rudders. Yes, it takes time and its not the way i am used to fishing but it could be done.
On a trip to Canada, I came across a 9 foot sailboat and all of its gear. I asked if I could use it. I rigged it the best i could and set sail using a paddle for a centerboard. It was a bit silly but it seemed functional until I unintentionally jibed down wind and flipped. I whistled for my family to come get me, they did and I had learned a valuable lesson: I forgot what the lesson was but I found the centerboard and sailed a few more times. On the last day i flipped again and this time I decided I would re-rig the boat by myself like the crew of the Essex after their run in with the whale. I have sailed a few more times since and i am going to be improvising a fishing device to use on my bigger trips. Nighty night, Caleb

2 comments:

sea wolf said...

I think the lesson was - find and use the centerboard.

Anonymous said...

well said emmaline.